|Dates: 23 July-8 August Time in Tokyo: BST +8|
|Coverage: Watch reside on BBC TV, BBC iPlayer, BBC Red Button and on-line; Listen on BBC Radio 5 Live, Sports Extra and Sounds; reside textual content and video clips on BBC Sport web site and app.|
Two-time defending Olympic champion Jade Jones fell to a shock defeat within the opening spherical of the taekwondo, simply moments after fellow Briton Andy Murray withdrew from the tennis singles on day two of Tokyo 2020.
It got here after Murray, additionally a two-time Olympic champion, pulled out of defending his title with a minor thigh pressure.
He will nonetheless proceed within the males’s doubles, alongside Joe Salisbury, after they received their opener on Saturday.
Elsewhere, Adam Peaty received his 100m breaststroke semi-final in 57.63 seconds as he appears to win a second successive gold within the occasion.
Temperatures reached 32C in Tokyo on Sunday, main the International Tennis Federation (ITF) to activate its excessive climate coverage.
Players got a 10-minute break between the second and third set as soon as the studying went above 30.1C, with change of ends and set breaks additionally prolonged by an additional 30 seconds.
Tuesday’s rowing has been cancelled due to opposed climate situations anticipated, whereas Monday’s occasions had already been moved to different days.
- NI round-up: Shorten reaches rowing remaining
- Day-by-day information to the Games
- Times and channels for BBC’s reside protection
If you are simply waking up, this is what else you have missed.
- Swimmer Max Litchfield narrowly missed out on Team GB’s first medal of the Games, ending fourth within the males’s 400m particular person medley remaining.
- Aimee Willmott was seventh within the ladies’s equal, earlier than GB completed fifth within the ladies’s 4x100m freestyle relay.
- Team GB’s ladies’s hockey crew, defending their Olympic crown from Rio 2016, misplaced 2-1 to Germany of their first match.
- GB’s rowers reached the lads’s double sculls and quadruple sculls finals, whereas Vicky Thornley is into the ladies’s single sculls semi-finals.
- Japan’s Yuto Horigome received the primary skateboarding Olympic gold with victory within the males’s avenue
- Australia’s Ashleigh Barty, the newly topped Wimbledon champion, was knocked out within the first spherical of the ladies’s singles tennis, however Naomi Osaka is thru.
- Eighteen-year-old Tunisian swimmer Ahmed Hafnaoui produced a significant shock to win gold within the 400m freestyle.
- US golfer Bryson DeChambeau was dominated out of the Games after testing constructive for Covid-19 earlier than arriving in Tokyo.
Jones overwhelmed in opening battle
Wales’ Jones had entered Tokyo 2020 as one in every of GB’s favourites to deliver dwelling a title. In doing so, she would have develop into the primary British girl to win Olympic gold at three successive Games and the primary taekwondo fighter to win triple gold.
Nicknamed the Headhunter, as a result of she prefers to attain factors from her opponent’s head moderately than their physique, Jones is the reigning world champion in her division and had entered the Games as primary seed.
But she met her match in Alizadeh who, 5 years in the past in Rio, grew to become the primary Iranian girl to win an Olympic medal with -57kg bronze.
Her 16-12 defeat of Jones in Tokyo was not the primary win she has recorded over the world primary although, having overwhelmed her en path to bronze on the 2015 World Championships.
Remarkably, this was Alizadeh’s first worldwide battle since 2018. She fled Iran in 2020 and the Iran Taekwondo Association has refused to permit her to characterize one other nation.
Jones’ Games may not be over simply but, nevertheless, as she could possibly be given the possibility to battle for the bronze medal within the repechages afterward Sunday.
Her team-mate Bradly Sinden progressed to the -68kg quarter-final as he bids to develop into GB’s first male Olympic taekwondo champion.
Murray withdraws from singles
Former world primary Murray had been attributable to face Canada’s Felix Auger-Aliassime within the first spherical of the lads’s singles on Sunday, however withdrew earlier than the match.
“I am really disappointed at having to withdraw but the medical staff have advised me against playing in both events,” he stated.
He has been changed within the singles draw by Australian Max Purcell.
Should Murray win a medal with Salisbury within the doubles, he’ll develop into the primary man to win 4 Olympic medals since tennis returned to the Olympic programme in 1988.
Murray and Salisbury face German pair Kevin Krawietz and Tim Puetz within the second spherical.
Peaty and Wilby into remaining
In the morning’s swimming motion, Peaty stays on target to develop into the primary British swimmer to retain an Olympic title.
He certified quickest for the 100m breaststroke remaining, greater than half a second faster than the subsequent quickest opponent.
Fellow Briton James Wilby additionally made it into the ultimate by ending third in his semi-final.
Meanwhile, Litchfield completed fourth within the males’s 400m particular person medley remaining, the identical place he positioned at Rio 2016, as USA’s Chase Kalisz received gold to take the primary medal within the pool at Tokyo 2020.
Despite a robust displaying in Saturday’s heats, Willmott was unable to mark her remaining look at an Olympics with a medal within the ladies’s 400m particular person medley, ending seventh.
Britain then completed fifth within the ladies’s 4x100m freestyle relay as Australia received the gold medal with a world report time of three:29.69.
- Get to know one in every of Team GB’s largest hopes for gold: Adam Peaty: Beneath the Surface is streaming now
- From Wildman to Ironman: How has Dirty Sanchez’s Mat Pritchard became an ultra-endurance athlete?